We wish everyone a late happy new year and prepared a new playtest which builds upon our Halloween release.
The main focuses of this release were improving stability and performance, as well as implementing some of the missing features that make Dune 2000 unique.
These playtest builds provide a snapshot of our current development for feedback by our testers. You can help shape the future of OpenRA by testing them and reporting bugs or simply letting the community know what you think.
Some highlights in this development build are:
- Added carryalls and sandworms to the Dune 2000 mod
- Added countries (with their own unique abilities) to the Red Alert mod.
- Added an often requested lobby option for disabling the “Short Game” mode.
- Improved performance and memory usage across the board.
- Added hardware cursors support for smoother mouse movements.
- Added new missions: GDI 03, Soviet 01 as well as Survival 01 and 02.
- Fixed Fort Lonestar and the Dropzone minigames not starting.
See the changelog for more details on the playtest changes and bugfixes.
The playtest-20150118 build is available from the download page.
We have put a lot of work into streamlining our development and release process, which included a shake-up of our Linux packages. We now provide distro-specific RPM via the openSUSE Build Service, but recommend that most users install OpenRA from their main distribution repositories. We have also fixed the “bad quality” package warning that occurs when installing our Ubuntu package.